Diabetes is a chronic metabolic disease
characterized by elevated levels of blood
glucose or blood sugar which leads
overtime to serious damage to the heart
vessels, eyes, kidneys and nerves.
The types of diabetes:
- Type 1- A type of diabetes in which the pancreas produces little or no insulin.
- Type 2 - A type of diabetes which affects the way the body processes blood sugar(glucose)
- Prediabetes - A condition in which blood sugar is high ,but not high enough to be type 2 diabetes.
- Gestational diabetes - A form of high blood sugar affecting pregnant women
Tips on Managing Diaetes
- REGULARLY CHECK YOUR SUGAR - Set a schedule with your doctor to when to test your blood and follow that schedule. Do not
miss appointments too.
- HAVE A COUNT ON THE CARBS - Most of the time ,carbs can quickly send ones blood sugar on a roller-coaster. Thus one should keep
track on them knowing the good and the bad carbs.
- EXERCISE - Regular exercise lowers blood pressure. It is advisable to do regular exercises and if possible have an
exercise routine because the effects wear off within a week after one stops.
- YOU SHOULD KNOW YOUR NUMBERS - You should maintain a balance as blood sugar readings are not the only one that people needs to keeep
the one on track.
- BUILD A DREAM TEAM - Managing diabetes need a team, thus apart from ones doctor, include others such as nutritionist, dentist pharmacist and above all have family and friends as part of that team